Sunday, September 16, 2012

Peach Cobbler- Fresh vs. Frozen

Frozen VS. Fresh

What sounds better for a treat on a cold night than Peach Cobbler? I personally have never tried Peach Cobbler before. I love peaches but I always thought making cobbler would be hard... Not True!! I got out my "Betty Crocker Cookbook" and found 2 variations of Peach Cobbler. 1. Fresh Peaches. 2. Frozen Peaches. It always seems like taking the frozen fruit route in the easiest, but is it the tastiest? So I put it to the test 1 Fresh peach cobbler vs 1 Frozen peach cobbler.


What were the results? I cooked for a small group at Grandma's for a Packer Party so I have some judges. The results were.....*drum roll* The Same! You couldn't really tell the difference if you didn't know there was a difference. In my opinion the cobbler with the Fresh peaches had a little more "beef" to it. The Peach chunks were a little bigger/juicier/tastier. But outside of "Peach Season" I would definitely be fine using Frozen peaches. Plus it is more convenient & quicker (Which I am always a fan of!)

To "top it off" I made homemade Whipped Cream. Now that is a delightful treat! And it is FAST to make. Awesome!! I will include the recipe below for your enjoyment!!

Sweetened Whipped Cream

1 C. Whipping (heavy) Cream
2. T Granulated or Powdered Sugar (I used powdered)
1 tsp. Vanilla

Beat all ingredients together with electric mixer until light peaks form.
Fresh Peach Cobbler

1/2 C Sugar
1T Cornstarch
1/4 tsp Cinnimon
4 C. Peaches
1tsp Lemon Juice
1 C Flour
1T Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3 T Firm butter
1/2 C Milk

1. Heat oven to 400'

2. In 2-quart sauce pan min 1/2 cup of sugar the cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir in the peaches and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat 4-5 min. Stir constantly until mixture in thick and boiling. Boil and stir 1 min. Pour into ungreased 2 qt casserole dish, keep peach mixture hot in oven.

3. In bowl mix flour 1 T sugar the baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop in spoon fulls (oprox 6 spoonfuls) onto hot peach mixture.

4. Bake 25-30 min until topping is golden brown.

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment