Saturday, September 29, 2012

Beef Stew



   Some of my favorite things about fall: Cool weather, fall fashion, and warm food! I called my mom and told her I would go over to her house (leave the mess there) and make supper for my family! Boy what a chore! It is harder cooking for 8 people as opposed to 2. But I was the one with the idea so I got out my "Betty Crocker Cookbook" and found a recipe for Beef Stew. Yummy.. Perfect for a bigger crowd and perfect for a cold Fall evening. I prepared it as it was written in the cookbook by placing it in the oven for 3 1/2 hours. But possibly because I did a double batch the vegetables would not soften. So because of the lack of time we placed it in a Nesco roaster on high for about another hour and then the veggies were tender and ready to serve. I topped it with some fluffy dumplings and.. PERFECTO! It was delicious and worth the wait (or so I thought so) Happy Cooking~~!

Beef Stew
1lb Beef Stew meat cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 Medium Onion
1 Bag Baby Carrots
1 Can Diced Tomatoes (Undrained)
1 Can condensed Beef broth (I used beef bullion)
1 Can (8oz) Tomato Sauce
1/3C. Flour
1T Worcestershire sauce
1tsp Salt
1tsp Sugar
1tsp Dried Marjoram leaves
1/4tsp Pepper
12 Small Red Potatoes (Cut Into Fourths)
2 C Sliced Mushrooms

1. Heat Oven to 325'

2. In oven-proof 4-qt Dutch oven mix all ingredients except potatoes and mushrooms. Cover and bake 2 hours, stirring once.

3. Stir in potatoes and mushrooms. Cover  and bake 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.

Slow Cooker Directions
Chop Onion(1/2 Cup) Omit tomato sauce. Increase flour to 1/2 Cup. In slow cooker mix all ingredients except beef. Add beef Do not Stir. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.

Dumplings
1 1/2 C Flour
1T Parsley Flakes
2tsp Baking Powder
1/2rsp Salt
3T Shortening
3/4 C Milk

1. In Medium Bowl, mix flour, parsley, baking powder and salt,. Cut in Shortening using pastry blender. Until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in Milk.

2. Drop dough by 10 spoonfuls onto hot meat or vegetable in boiling stew (do not drop directly onto liquid or dumplings may becaome soggy) Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 more minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment